Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You Know that Feeling. . .

. . .when you achieve something you have wanted for a really long time?

I am happy to say that, although this does not often happen to me, it did last week.

Last week, I received an international phone call from The Santa Fe Workshops . While in Iceland, I had a phone interview for the Work/Study position with the Operations Assistant at the SFW. Renie, the Director of Operations was the one calling this time. After a few questions making sure that I completely understood the obligations of the Work/Study position, she asked:

So you will be driving your car out to Santa Fe from....Belchertown?

Holding back my excitement, I answered a few more questions about housing and such before straight-up asking, "So is this official? Do I have the Work/Study position?"

YES. I DID.

I couldn't help but hold back a smile and an excited bounce on my bed. I have wanted this position since I took a workshop with famed National Geographic photographer, Joe McNally, during the summer of 2006 - right before entering my freshman year at Ithaca College. I applied last year and was a finalist out of over 30 applicants, but was not selected for either of the 2 Work/Study positions offered.

I tend not to be a quitter, so this year I submitted a re-vamped application. I am one year older, one year wiser (I like to think...), and maybe that made a difference.

Regardless, this is an opportunity of a lifetime . The Work/Study position is, essentially, a scholarship to take workshops with world-renowned photographers for the entire summer....FOR FREE. I mean, I am "working" (setting up breakfast, taking out recycling, cleaning classrooms, etc.), but that's nothing out of the ordinary from my life in Siena right now (minus cleaning classrooms).

This has been my top-choice summer internship/job since last year. To finally make it a reality is, as cliche as it sounds, a dream-come-true. This is the last summer before I graduate from college (Grad school = no thanks, not a necessity for my major, anyway) and I can think of no better place to spend a summer than at The Santa Fe Workshops!

I will need to have my car out in SF, so on June 1, I will set out on a three generation road trip from Massachusetts to New Mexico with my Mom and Granny. When else would I have the opportunity for some quality girl/3-generation time?

Opportunities abound if only you are willing to search for and pursue them.

Take chances and follow your heart,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment